Friday, May 22, 2009

He who finds a Wife finds a Good Thing

In the last two blogs I mentioned about my desire to undertake a study in the scriptures about establishing and maintaining a relationship for the purposes of obtaining marriage.

My studies are still continuing, however I wanted to share some findings and thoughts.

I found that a lot of the qualities that the bible says a woman should have are already things that attract me personally. Which was pretty cool. Here are a few examples.


1 Timothy 2:9-10

likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.

1 Peter 3:1-6


Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— 4but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening.

modesty, self control, good works, subjection, respectful, pure conduct, gentle and quiet spirit.

Beautiful! These are the things that the scriptures say a Godly woman has, and these things have always attracted me. The exact opposite has always turned me off, always. Immodesty, haughtiness, and whoring (in mindset and behavior) is so displeasing and unattractive. So I am grateful that at least, my heart is in the right place for my search.

Proverbs 31, paints a vivid portrait of a Godly woman. Read the whole chapter when you have a moment; I will just share a few scriptures from that chapter here that spoke to me most.


Proverbs 31:11-12

The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.She does him good, and not harm,all the days of her life.


Proverbs 31:20

She opens her hand to the poor
and reaches out her hands to the needy.

Proverbs 31:25-28

Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.
She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
She looks well to the ways of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:


These scriptures are encouraging, they give me a since of direction, as well as hope at what is possible. I know now what I didn't know in the past, I know that its ok, to "look". For so many years I told myself I wouldn't and that she would just come...but God is in control, and if I walk pleasing to Him, and pray, and if its His will, He will bless me with my hearts desire for companionship and a wife. And from here, the scripture says, "He who finds a wife, finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord"-Proverbs 18:22


But for the present, I am just going to be patient, take things one day at a time, KEEP my focus on God and what he desires from me, and keep my eyes open along the way :)

alright one last example....check this portion of scripture out, it speaks about how Isaac received His wife Rebekkah. A quick backdrop. Isaac's father Abraham sent his trusted servant on a journey to their kindred so that he could get a wife from there for his Son.

Again, you can read the whole story on your own, what I want to focus on is how Rebekkah carries herself in these two portions of scripture I have listed below. Keep in mind the scriptures I showed up above showing how a Godly woman should be and compare.

Genesis 24:15-21

Before he had finished speaking, behold, Rebekah, who was born to Bethuel the son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham’s brother, came out with her water jar on her shoulder. The young woman was very attractive in appearance, a maiden whom no man had known. She went down to the spring and filled her jar and came up. Then the servant ran to meet her and said, "Please give me a little water to drink from your jar." She said, "Drink, my lord." And she quickly let down her jar upon her hand and gave him a drink. When she had finished giving him a drink, she said, "I will draw water for your camels also, until they have finished drinking." So she quickly emptied her jar into the trough and ran again to the well to draw water, and she drew for all his camels. The man gazed at her in silence to learn whether the LORD had prospered his journey or not.

What I see here from Rebekkah is consideration, kindness, and diligence. One more place... and I love this part!...

Genesis 24:62-67

Now Isaac had returned from Beer-lahai-roi and was dwelling in the Negeb. And Isaac went out to meditate in the field toward evening. And he lifted up his eyes and saw, and behold, there were camels coming. And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she dismounted from the camel and said to the servant, "Who is that man, walking in the field to meet us?" The servant said, "It is my master." So she took her veil and covered herself. And the servant told Isaac all the things that he had done. Then Isaac brought her into the tent of Sarah his mother and took Rebekah, and she became his wife, and he loved her. So Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death.

The point that I love here is that she covered herself once she found out who Isaac was...and what is that?....MODESTY!!....and that my friends...is a-ttrac-tive!

Thank you dear blog reader for your time. Take Care; and remember God in all that you do. Shalom! (Peace)

No comments: