This blog is a follow up to a blog I wrote last May. That original blog can be found here.
In Black Hebrew Israelite thought great dependency is placed on the hardships faced by African Americans from the time of slavery until the present. They believe that these hardships are part of the divine curses that were foretold in the Hebrew Scriptures to befall the children of Israel.
The idea is to look at the horrors of the Middle Passage (Slave Trade), slavery, Jim Crowe, current statistics on prison occupation, broken families, death and disease rate, and say that these are all the result of disobedience to Israel’s God.
The error here, I believe; is using these hardships to self impose an identity that is owned by another people group altogether. The very people group (the Jewish people) who’s own history attests to the divine curses written in the Hebrew Scripture.
There is grave error in examining the culture, scripture, and history of the Jewish people (Biblical and Extra Biblical) and self imposing an identity of belonging to this global community/ social people group while simultaneously denouncing the authenticity of that same people group.
Essentially saying, “I will take the scriptures, and culture, that has defined and been with People A for several millennia, and claim it as the scripture, culture, and history of my People B, because People A, are liars, and they aren’t really the true People A”
I stated it before; as an African American I became uncomfortable over time being a part of a religious community that did this.
The Jewish people have continuity in existence in a shared-global community, with a shared historical memory. This is reality.
African Americans, however do not. This also is reality.
What is the heart of the issue here though? Look into the many origins of the Black Hebrew Israelite movement, answers are most certainly found there.
I personally believe the heart of the issue is the need for the Black Hebrew Israelite community to take hold of something grand, and historic in place of an uncertain history. But one need not place their hope in such an unstable foundation.
It is true that millions of captive people from various African ethnic groups in West, Central, and South Africa now have descendants all over the Western Hemisphere and the world. It is true that our shared bondage and history is horrific.
Yet our hope as a people group is not in claiming Israelite identity but rather in seeking Israel’s God.
Sin, is at the heart of a lot of the personally inflicted hardships we face as a people. And as far as all of the injustices and oppressions of the past, that too will be dealt with by Israel’s God. As Israel’s King will come to right the wrongs of countless suffering of all people throughout time.
The beauty of the story and struggle of the Jewish people is that God’s enduring promises to them affect all of mankind. And He brings the Nations near to Him through them. There is hope still.
Thank you for your time reader. Take care. Peace.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
thanks for posting....after our passing of messages I'm glad you shared your thoughts on this recent post. I appreciate your candor (as usual)
thanks sis :)
You know what I see? A people group that has a vague memory of its inheritance/past tribal memories...
Why do I think this... I came upon a group of people known as the Lemba People...
http://haruth.com/jw/JewsLemba.html
Danny - be gentle with our brothers - they are being stirred to find out who they really are... Mischpocha
Thank you for your gracious admonishment Ahavah.
also,
I digress in as much as I am aware of these scriptures..
In that day the Lord will extend his hand yet a second time to recover the remnant that remains of his people, from Assyria, from Egypt, from Pathros, from Cush, from Elam, from Shinar, from Hamath, and from the coastlands of the sea.--Isaiah 11:11
From beyond the rivers of Cush
my worshipers, the daughter of my dispersed ones,shall bring my offering.--Zephaniah 3:10
I think the greater reality behind why I write what I do is out of a deep need within me to express the transition that I personally have made, and my disagreements with the movement that I once was a part of. I have a great love for the Jewish people and believe that they are God's anointed and the contrast in my heart with what I know now and how I once lived has birthed in me these things. That being said; I am just a man. And am as foolish and as sinful, and ultimately know nothing. I can only hope in God and share my experiences and pray to be open to God's molding.
Respecting the Distinction is very important to me. And I pray that I continue to make that distinction with respect to what God has done with the Jewish people and the nations as well.
Post a Comment