Earlier today I ran across an offer from African Ancestry.com to win a free Patri Clan and or Matri Clan test kit to determine ones African lineage from either their mother or fathers side. I have wanted to do this test for quite some time, but have never done it. This was a chance to win one for free by answering a three part question. Here is what I submitted.
How Would Knowing Your Roots Change Your Perception Of The Past, Your Interpretation Of The Present, And Your Aspirations For The Future? (Week 3)”
Knowing my roots would be a blessing to not only myself but my family as a whole. I always thought it’d be beautiful to be able to sit down with my family; (Grandfather, uncles, aunts, my dad and cousins) and share this news. I’m sure we’d each take something precious and enduring from that experience.
My perception of the past would change greatly. I say this because, for many years I was part of what I now feel to be an uneducated and harmful ideology; that coupled religious faith with actual bloodline descent. Placing the intangible with the unprovable.
I am grateful that I now have a deeper security in my faith without that ideology. I would however love to finally grasp what I thought I understood for so long. To be able to say, ” this is my people, and I am proud”; which is something that I would carry with me in my present each day, as I walk in confidence knowing who I am, and where I have come from.
In regards to aspirations for the future there is only one. I am currently single, 25, working full time and studying as well. It is my hope to one day have a family, and with the knowledge of where I come from I would impart this to my family; to my wife and our children. And I would encourage my greater family that I mentioned above to do small things here and there to teach and to reflect in their homes where we have come from, with the hopes of generational continuity in knowing who we are.
Thanks for your time. Take Care.
I read some of the other submissions so far and its been quite engaging reading others responses. Check it out here.
I will leave you with a video that might peek your interest. Take Care blog reader.
Monday, February 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I have always been intrigued by that test, but was never tempted to actually fork over the dough to have it done! Maybe someday, just to satisfy my curiosity (partially). Because that test can never tell you where *all* of your ancestors came from... Anyway, it would be fun to solve part of the mystery!
Yeah. I hear you sis. I agree. Thank you for commenting. I hope all is well. Take Care.
Post a Comment