I recently read a blog from a gentlemen, who is a well known Messianic Congregation leader, author, and teacher. He bullet pointed his entire journey of faith, and spoke about how he came into Messianic Judaism.
I got inspired by the whole bullet pointed idea, and decided I would do the same. In his same blog, he invited the readers to share about how they came into the Messianic faith, I suppose I will share this with him when I am done. Here goes..
* From early child hood to my early teens I grew up in a traditional protestant home (Pentecostal Holiness, Methodist, and Baptist respectively.)
*During my early teens a few life changing things happened, my grandmother, (the rock of my dad's side of the family) passed away, my parents got divorced, and my dad was briefly incarcerated.
*During that same season I ended up moving in with my dad. He began a new faith journey of his own that was different from traditional Christianity; and through his guidance, over time, I embraced that same faith as well. I rededicated my life to God through the Black Hebrew Israelite community.
*I spend the next 10 years in this community a part of two congregations (five years each) The communities that I was part of shaped my very being, perception, and faith in God throughout my transition into adulthood.
*Over time, during the later 2 years of this ten year time span I begin to meet other believers, albeit not apart of my faith community, but from a faith community that I did not know existed. I began to meet people who were apart of Messianic Judaism.
*I meet and become very close friends with a Jewish believer. I become close with his family, and I even start visiting his Messianic Synagogue.
*God impresses a number of changes on my heart regarding my walk of faith, and my identity.
*I begin to grow in a deep love and respect for the Jewish people. Something that I had never had before, and something I was shielded from because of the ignorance and misunderstandings of the BHI faith communities that I was apart of.
*I also begin to struggle with my changing convictions and ideologies, while trying to maintain a love and respect for the faith community that I was already apart of. I begin to feel torn in many ways and in many areas, but trying to maintain a peace about it all none the less.
*I try to maintain both worlds for a very brief time, but am questioned by my teachers and asked to make a choice. I eventually leave my home congregation (the second of the two at the end of the ten year period) and the BHI faith community that I was a part of.
*I spend a year of growth and reflection. I grow close to individuals, home groups, home fellowships, and congregations, all part of Messianic Judaism. They all in some form or another, add to my healing, growth, and understanding of my faith. I feel as though I am on solid ground.
*I accept with joy my identity as a Gentile, I cherish my deep love and respect for the Jewish people, the continuity and validity of their existence, and appreciate greatly what God has done in the earth through them.
*I continue to grow in friendship with the Jewish believer, his family, and his congregation, and after a time decide to join his congregation.
*At present, I am a member of this congregation, growing in my faith, and aiming to grow in my relationship with Jewish and non Jewish believers a like; excited for whats ahead, and grateful for coming to this point.
One of the things that the gentlemen who wrote the blog that inspired this post spoke about was the delicate issue within Messianic Judaism of preserving the Jewish identity, and the sheer importance of Gentile believers respecting the distinction that God has given to the Jewish people. I believe without a doubt that due to my background, I will always,.......always, be super sensitive (in whole heart agreement) about this issue.
I am also glad to say that I have come full circle in my love and appreciation for greater Christianity....I am glad to have that solidarity once again; I have been separated from it since my childhood.
There is so much I have to learn...and so much I need to grow in. But for now I will take it one step at a time, as I have done, and trust in the God of Heaven each step of the way. Thank you reader for your time, remember to keep your eyes to Heaven as you walk your own journey. Shalom, shalom.
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Danny:
What a great story! I am impressed that from shaky beginnings you have come to such a clear understanding of the Biblical idea of Israel.
Blessings and peace.
Derek Leman
Your Comment means a great deal to me. Thank you brother Leman. You are a true inspiration. Shalom, shalom.
I've heard a bit before of your story, Danny, from previous blog posts from you. It is cool to hear the full story, and like Derek says, quite amazing. God's got his hand on you, man.
Thank you Judah! That means a lot big bro. Thank you.
btw Judah, you have to bullet point your testimony!! PLEASE!
Post a Comment