Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness... -Matthew 6:33
This has been something that has been on my heart lately; earnestly desiring to discern what this means. The Masters commandment for His followers in this regard directs their focus to something greater than themselves and this world. I would always reflect on this commandment in the past whenever I would think about undertaking a certain endeavor. And I always believed I understood what it meant, because its so forthright and clear...yet I am beginning to realize that there is so much more to that commandment than what I previously thought.
Recently I was blessed to be able to live, and work amongst a group of people who are part of a group of self sufficient communities. The most immediate description I can think of to describe their outward appearance and culture would be a cross between the Amish and Hippies.
They live in large homes together, young and old alike...(husbands/wives, singles, children, elderly, and their visiting guests) And they make their living by running businesses near where they reside. In the case of the particular community that I visited they lived in this very large and beautiful Victorian home, and owned a rustic-elegant deli made of stone and various hard woods a couple of blocks away.
Their faith is what birthed such a community and from their faith they have been able to create an entire culture that counters mainstream society. They do not watch television, the music they listen to is either the music they make or any that is in reflection or praise of the Creator, they wear modest-simple clothing, they eat wholesome self prepared foods together, study the scriptures together, dance and play instruments together, work together, and spend time outdoors frequently (walking, hiking, and volleyball).
It was a spur of the moment decision for me to stay with them for the short time that I did. I had went up there with my dad, his wife, and some members from their congregation and we were visiting this community as part of a day trip that they had planned. I remember right before leaving I decided I wanted to stay (not wanting to pass the opportunity up) and would catch Greyhound back home.
I am glad I did.
There was a wholeness and temperament of my spirit that I experienced when I was there. I felt spiritually full, and strengthened within. I ate well, slept sound, and worked hard. (indeed a type of work that was more fulfilling than my own job because I felt the greater purpose of it). I danced with them, sang with them, and studied scripture together with them. I connected with the people of this community;embracing their hospitality and love; witnessing the sincerity in their speech and actions. Looking into their eyes and holding conversations with different individuals throughout the course of my stay I was able to catch a glimpse into the heart of their passion for their way of living. These people examined the call of the Master to forsake all and follow Him. They devoted themselves to one another; giving up all they had to establish a common bond of living in which all of their possessions and earnings were collectively distributed for the greater good of one another. No one of them sought their own. They literally mirrored what is found in the scriptures regarding the believers of the Messiah in the 1st Century.
And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45 And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. -Acts 2:44
I returned home, and for a few days I was very torn. I have had a walk of faith in the Savior, and a life trying to serve the God of Abraham for just about ten years now and in all this time I have never witnessed a manner/life of faith expressed on such a high level in which I witnessed amongst that community. It took a lot of prayer and some talks with some close brothers (thanks Zak, Yonah,Jeremiah, and Sean) to help me sort some thoughts out, and get clarity on it all.
I am also ashamed to say that I got so disheartened at one point that I actually forgot the countless examples of a life of faith that the Father has blessed me to witness throughout the years. For example in my previous congregation; although we didn't live together, we were so small and close knit that we made sure all our needs were met, no one of us lacked because we made sure that if someone was in need in our midst we took care of whatever that need was. We all worked hard and took care of ourselves (and or our families) and had enough to give in case someone was in need. Not only that but I know several families, who don't belong to any particular congregation but who believe, and they love and live for one another and their neighbors around them. Even the congregation I presently visit is full of the love of one another as themselves that we are commanded to have of our Master.
I think one reason why I briefly lost sight of such examples was because I was awe struck at what I had experienced amongst the community. I was hung up on the sharp contrast between how these people of faith lived and the people of faith that I was more closely associated with lived. There wasn't once or twice a week gatherings amongst the community, and their wasn't a struggle to find time throughout the busy hectic day to pray or read the scriptures; Their entire lives were devotion...from waking up in the morning to laying down at night; they lived for God and for one another in all things. And this is what I began to yearn for. Simply;a better way.
And I also began to wrestle with what our Master meant in Luke Chapter fourteen verse thirty three (Luke 14:33). I thought that maybe I had not fulfilled his command because I still owned my possessions and had not forsaken them for Him. But when I read the chapter as a whole, including that last verse; I realized that the heart of what our Master was conveying was that there should not be ANYTHING in our lives...not even our life..that should come before Him. Our life in Him was now solely for Him and nothing is to stand in the way of that, anything that does is an idol and causes us to "not be His disciple" and "not be worthy of Him".
Since my visit with the community this past weekend my days and thoughts have been occupied to a greater embrace of seeking first the Kingdom of God. Searching my soul deeply for that greater embrace. I have begun to greater examine how my days are spent and how my resources are used. I want to take initiative in seeking kindness and graciousness to others, and seek to give before I take for myself. I learned a long time ago that we are blessed to bless one another, and I understand now more so than ever that my resources are not my own; nor is my life. I am at my Fathers disposal in the highest regard and I must remain sensitive to His guidance so as to be true to Him and his purposes in this earth.
Even though I am alone, without a home congregation, or a community, the Father has still blessed me to be able to help others, (and be in the midst a diversity of believers) and I am so very grateful; I hope to continue to be a vessel.
Another thing I have thought about is how because of these hard economic times, and its affect on so many people...(especially those of faith), many congregations; if they are not already, will begin to live as the community I spoke of up above does. Not necessarily to such a large degree but at the very least; they will live a simplistic variation of it. They will begin to pull together. Love more.
I have a feeling too that many from the world will attach themselves to that community that I visited; and others who live like them, because of the hard times we are in.
**Side Note: I say "the world" because the community I visited have establishments all over the world**
Their way of life is a light and is extremely refreshing. I hope to return to visit soon, I really miss them. I don't plan to join; yet it suffices for me to know that we both serve our Master and seek to see His Kingdom come; as do so many countless others in this earth who hold to the faith of the One who is to come and restore all things. His Kingdom Come, His Will Be Done. In the mean time its up to us; those who believe; to Seek His Kingdom in all that we do....work hard, take care of our families, take care of one another,...simply have faith and obedience to His commandments in the Scriptures.....moment by moment, day by day...live in the love that our Father gives to each of us through His Son, keeping our eyes on the World that is to come.
I will leave off with a few scriptures to reflect on. Shalom to whomever reads this.
Closing Scriptures:
Luke Chapter 14
Matthew Chapter 6
2 Corinthians 5:13-15
Romans 12:8
1 John 3:17
Philippians 2:21
1 Corinthians Chapter 13 (emphasis vs 5)
Philippians 2:1-5
ps-I have begun to listen to a seminar on this topic from First Fruits of Zion, "Treasures in Heaven" you can search for it on the FFOZ link to the left of this blog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Halleluyah! How beautiful this story was loved brother Danny!
Post a Comment