Sunday, October 3, 2010

Catching Up

So much to write about. So much to catch up on. I’ve experienced a lot in a short amount of time. I had an amazing observance of the Fall Holy Days with my congregation, from spending the entire day, of Yom Kippur on the grounds of our place of worship, (reading liturgy, sleeping, , worshipping, fellowshipping,) to coming into the days of Sukkot, and being invited to dine in the Sukkahs of loved ones. First with my mentor Aree and his family and close friends, and then in the Goldberg’s Sukkah with a large number of people they were hosting. I remember
dancing passionately and enduringly with my congregation on Simcat Torah and even getting the opportunity to visit a Chabaad synagogue the following night as they celebrated the last day as well. Most vivid from that particular night at Chabaad was the physical beauty of the Jewish people there; the women, children, and men, and seeing the beautiful diversity of the Jewish people. I remember the tall,young, long bearded Rabbi who had vibrant passion and was still coherent and wise in what he shared, although he was obviously drunk. I remember also the many young Persian Cohamin (ages 13-17) who showed me a lot of love, complimented me on my dancing and one even asked if I wanted to hold the Torah to which I politely refused. I walked away from that night in awe, and grateful that I had shaked my fear of not going, and also reminded of the tangibility of my own faith; because God's faithfulness to Israel, (the Jewish people) is a testament to His faithfulness of to all of humanity and the completion and oneness that is at the core His of love and what will be fulfilled in all of creation.

Anyway, that’s just the surface of what’s been going on. I’ve been doing a lot of self reflection, and have had some spiritual highs and lows. I have literally had days of great peace, joy, contentment, and revelation, to days that were filled with the lull of the mundane and the imprisonment of my own insecurity, and fear. I have even recently been confromted in my heart regarding one brother that my heart is not right towards. 1 John 4:19-21 says it all, and I pray that in repentance I move forward and in God’s grace am delivered from my hardness of heart towards a fellow brother and good friend.

I have been spending a lot of time with loved ones and close friends also which has been an encouragement. I also have been able to host a few times now in my home. I’ve had people come over in groups to watch a movie, or to simply sit out on my back concrete slab and talk for hours on end. I’ve had others come over for dinner, and just had intimate conversation. I have had others sleep over. Its been a blessing.

I am really learning the meaning of budgeting also. I just paid my first mortgage payment and even paid an unexpected payment in condo fee’s that I thought wouldn’t have to be paid until January. I am extremely grateful at God’s provision, and my faith was assured even more so when I trusted in His foresight and ability to provide even when all I knew inside was uncertainty. Lesson learned; yield uncertainty to faith. He is faithful to provide everyone of our needs.

And a quick note on grocery shopping. I plan to start buying in bulk. Even though its just me, I think I will save tremendously if I adopt this practice. And I’m grateful also to have spent some time with the father of a very close friend of mines. He showed me how to buy a large quantity of chicken that had not been (don’t know the right word, but its when the butcher takes the skin and fat off for you and cuts the joints and portions it out for you); and you buy the chicken, (probably 3 or 4 lbs worth) un-processed I guess is the word for a RIDICUOUSLY low amount and go home and wash and skin and cut it up yourself and put it in bags to freeze and you have food for a WHOLE MONTH! My friends father spent hours that day and showed me how to do just all of that and as a testament I now have chicken in my freezer that will last me quite some time.

I’m hoping that I stick to my plan of budgeting (something that I doubt I will have a problem with because of the increase in my financial obligations) and my commitment to cook and rarely eat out, will couple together and allow me to both live comfortably and possibly even save over time. God knows. I pray it is so.

Thank you blog reader for your time and allowing me to catch up like this.

I’m still missing a lot. Like my friend David moving away to Florida, The wonderful heart of Shanelle who is a friend from my congregation, and her and her mom’s efforts in putting together a house warming party for me thats coming up very soon. The camping trip that I am planning with another close friend. The men's retreat that I pray I can make it to. And how grateful I am to Elad for constantly and unfailingly showing me what a true friend is. There is a lot of encouragement and growth that God has given me through his friendship alone that I am grateful for.


Thats it. Its good to catch up.

PS--Fall is here! I love it. My favorite season..and the wind reminds me of God's spirit.

5 comments:

Naomi said...

1. That is so cool about the chicken! Hahaha :D
2. I agree about Elad. We are so blessed!
3. You're super!
:)

Unknown said...

Danny, this is awesome what you have written! I did not know you had a blog until I saw your note on FB. Thank you for sharing this. I enjoyed everything you said and share many of the same sentiments. I miss David too and agree about Elad. He is such a blessing. Don't forget to let us know about your housewarming. We love you and think you are an awesome young man! The love of Yeshua shines all over you! We are blessed to know you and call you friend!

Danny A. Fluker Jr. said...

Naomi, and Mrs. Smith, Thank you both for your kind comments. They mean a lot. God Bless. Oh and Mrs. Smith, its October 16th, starting at 5pm. I can inbox you my address at facebook.

robyn L. said...

Sounds like you have been having a wonderful time! I missed all the fall/high holiday services and celebrations this year. I was in "confinement" with my (preemie) baby girl, who has not had her first shots yet and therefore has not ventured out into the world much! I'm *really* looking forward to celebrating Hanukkah with her and my hubby though!

Anonymous said...

Robyn! May you and your family be blessed its so good to follow you on Twitter now and I am glad to know you all are doing well. Be blessed in all that God has for you and remain assured in His Comfort and Love, Provision and Protection Be blessed!