Monday, December 7, 2009

count down to Hanukkah

I'm up early. Its 5:02am. I'm dressed and ready to head out the door, but I wanted to come online real quick before I ate breakfast and headed out. I'm glad I'm well rested and in good health. And I'm glad there is no frost to scrape off my window even though its less than 35 degrees outside.

This past weekend was really nice. I spent some time with the Goldbergs, a Jewish family who will forever have a special place in my heart because it was through their son that God allowed me to grow into a greater portion of my faith in this season in my life.

Last night I got home and not only did I finish this weeks torah portion (something I rarely ever do so soon in the week) but I also read the first four chapters of 1 Maccabees in prepartion for my remembrances and observances of Hanukkah at the end of this week. The account in 1 Maccabees is very moving, disturbing, and disheartening, but in the end, it is full of triumph at the recapturing, fortification, cleansing and dedication of the Temple back to God. The very place on earth that was a reflection of God's dominion and service in the Heavens.

What does Hanukkah mean for me? A non Jew? Well, its simple. God's chosen people, his first born and the apple of His eye.........His stedfast love and dedication to them is also a reflection of His stedfast love and dedication to all of humanity. the Apostle Paul once asked, "Is He the God of the Jews only? Is He not the God of the Gentiles also?, Yes of the Gentiles also." (Romans 3:29) All of humanities past, present and future is bound in and through what happens to the Jewish people.Which not only fascinates me on a surface level but its really powerful when you think about it. God's faithfulness to His people, increases my faith, and my desire to be faithful to Him. I know He sees them, (as is evidence by the continuity of their existence for thousands of years all over the world despite some incredible odds against them). He sees them, and I know He sees me. God is faitfhful to His promises, His promises to His people .....promises that affect all of mankind.


He says to the Messiah:"It is too light a thing that you should be my servant
to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to bring back the preserved of Israel;I will make you as a light for the nations,that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth."
--Isaiah 49:6

I'm ready for Hanukkah, I'm ready for more reading and reflection on what this yearly remembrance means, I'm ready for fellowship with some good friends who have the same hope as I. I'm ready to participate in something real, lasting, tangible and ancient; with a people who are a reflection of God's inheritance in the earth.I'm ready to light candles, I'm ready to remember. I ready to remain assured in my hope of what is to come.

3 comments:

Danny A. Fluker Jr. said...

thank you sis.

NoReply said...

ohh kudos for the reading achievements! I am behind on mine a little - odd how illness can effect ones direction.

I too have been reading Maccabees in preparation for Chanukah and I am reminded of Ester...


'... not by might but by My Spirit'. says the ADONAI Tzv'ot

Danny A. Fluker Jr. said...

amen Ahavah, amen. I hope you have a happy Hanukkah